I’m going to come right out and admit it: I am not a summer person. Yes I am a born and bred Aussie, but when the temperature hits the high 30s and there’s not a cloud in the sky, I start to swoon. It’s a dilemma I face every summer – it’s beautiful outside and I should feel like I’m in a Coca Cola advert, but really I just feel like I’m going to drown in my own sweat or pass out before I make it wherever I’m going. We’re having a heat wave at the moment – a week of 38/39 degrees and the Perth sun is brutal.
I’ll be honest, a lot of my plans for this weekend involve hiding away in my bedroom – the only room in our house with air conditioning! But what a week it has been! I’m still reeling from the season 6 finale of Sons of Anarchy, my physiotherapist has just ‘loosened’ (read: pumelled) both of my legs from ankle to butt rendering me wobbly and sore, and the heat is making me want to nap all day, every day. But there is still so much I am grateful for:
This edition’s ‘little things’:
~ Celebrating my sister’s graduation tonight and my sister inlaw-inlaw’s graduation early in the week (congrats ladies!!) ~ Ice cold bottles of Diet Coke ~ Having a hair cut and my eyebrows shaped and tinted – so refreshing! ~ Looking forward to the upcoming Christmas holidays ~ My husband, always ~ The support and encouragement of the Brisbane Blogcadettes ~ Regular freelance work ~ Finding the time to read (this, this and this) ~ Planning for Fringeworld ~
And the things that have kept me entertained:
- 30 Things you need to STOP doing to yourself, today
- Why creative people sometimes make no sense
- There is so much beauty in the world – but read this if you’re having trouble seeing it
- Don’t want to take on work over the holidays? OK with working but want to charge because it’ll mean you don’t get a break? Find out how to say no (or yes!) with grace
- Ever wondered how the cast of Friends would look as metal heads?
- The radical self love guru reminds us it is OK if you don’t always love yourself
- Pearl’s put together a list of 30 things to do whilst the sun is shining
- You can’t always avoid jerks, but the Sassy Sloth can help you get over them
- These photos of vacuum wrapped couples are fascinating
- Wish others loved young adult fiction as much as you? Here’s how to convert them
What was the highlight of your week? Tell me what you’re grateful for or what simply made you smile this week!
You can also follow me on Twitter or Instagram (@skullandcrosstales) for lots of photos of cute dogs and shiny pretty things!
Photo 1 by Linh Nguyen, all others by me